While you can always stop by LB Steak in order to enjoy a perfectly grilled steak, we would like to share with you some tips on how you can grill your own perfect steak.
- Since grilling a steak revolves so much around the temperature of the meat, it is essential to remember that the importance of temperature does not only involve the period of cooking the meat, it also includes the prep as well. With this in mind, you should always make sure to not begin grilling your steak as soon as you take it out of the fridge; instead, you should make sure to take out the steak a short time before you begin grilling and make sure it comes to around room temperature before you throw it on the hot grill. The reason for this is because the meat will cook unevenly if it is colder on the inside than it is on the outside.
Heating Up the Grill
- Based on the previous suggestion, another important aspect of grilling the perfect steak involves heating up the grill before you throw the meat on. While this step might seem basic, it is absolutely vital if you want an evenly cooked steak. Along with this, make sure that your grill is nice and clean. In order to make it easier to heat the grill and flip the steak, it is always a good idea to use a little bit of oil on a paper towel to rub the grill with.
- While your meat is nearing room temperature and your grill is heating up, the next step will be to season your meat. Even though a good steak will always taste good with just a simple seasoning such as salt, especially if you want to experience the natural flavor of the beef, certain cuts of steak are also amazing with a good marinade. This step should be done around 30 minutes before cooking the steak in order for the meat to fully absorb the salt or marinade.
Meat Type and Degree of Heat
- Depending on the type of steak cut that you have, how thick it is, and the type of cook you want on it, the degree of heat is also important. While most steak cuts cook best over high heat, giving a good sear to both sides and cooking the middle to a perfect degree, some thicker cuts will not cook as evenly. When it comes to thicker cuts of meat, a good way to cook them is to sear them quickly on each side on high heat and then move them to a lower heat level to cook it internally.
Degrees of Doneness
- Depending on the thickness of the steak, you can either use a meat thermometer or a timer to determine when the meat has reached the perfect amount of doneness. Typically, with a meat thermometer, these will be the temperatures for each specific type of cook:
- Rare: 115º-120º F
- Medium Rare: 120º-125º F
- Medium: 130º-135º F
- Medium Well: 140º-145º F
- Well Done: 150º and up
Other than using a thermometer, you can also use a timer if the meat is too thin. For the steaks that are too thin to use a thermometer for, specifically steaks that are around 1-inch thick or less, you should base it on a 3-5 minute time for rare to medium rare.
Letting Your Steak Rest
- Based on the previous tip on cooking temperatures and times, it is crucial to remember that the steak will continue to cook as it rests. This is especially essential to remember because of the importance of letting the meat rest, since it will allow the meat to fully absorb all of its seasoning and natural juices. You should always plan to let the meat rest for 5-10 minutes, as well as consider that this time will typically cook the meat around an extra 5 degrees.
Ultimately, cooking the perfect steak does not have to be overly complicated. While it involves dedicated attention and practice, anyone can do it. We hope these tips help you in your journey to become a grill master.
Come by LB Steak today if you wish to relax and have a perfectly grilled steak done for you!
Join us Friday November 16th at LB Steak Santana Row, as we jump into the tank and celebrate the release of FINtage 408, a wine making collaboration between the San Jose Sharks® and local winery Clos LaChance.
Clos LaChance worked closely with the Sharks team to create these unique blends that are reminiscent of this years team—strong, bold, and award-winning, and we are excited to present them at LB Steak Santana Row.
In Celebration of this year’s FINtage408 and the San Jose Sharks® we are offering a
3 COURSE PRIME RIB DINNER
paired with FINtage 408 wines
65.00 per person
excludes tax and gratuity
available for Dinner service after 4 pm
Sautéed White Gulf Prawns
garlic, cayenne, frisée
~paired with FINtage 408 Chardonnay~
12 Ounce Prime Rib
crispy fingerling potatoes, broccolini, au jus
~paired with FINtage 408 Cabernet Sauvignon~
Pumpkin Toffee Cheesecake
At LB Steak, we pride ourselves on offering a wide range of classic cocktails, as well as our own unique creations and creative twists on traditional drinks. Along with this, we have a special part of our menu where we highlight certain drinks, oftentimes inspired by seasonal selections and rotating through a variety, that are specially chosen to be favorites by our bartenders. At LB Steak, these specialty drinks are known as “Barman’s Choice,” and today we will be showcasing them. However, behind all of the drinks served at LB Steak are our esteemed and dedicated Bartenders! So today, we would like to also highlight one specific bartender for the incredible passion that he delivers behind the bar every time—Santiago Gomez!
Santiago was born in Columbia, which is located at the northern tip of South America, where he grew up and eventually received an engineering degree. However, beginning around the age of twelve, Santiago began periodically traveling to the United States, where he has now permanently resided for the past seven years.
Although Santiago received his degree for engineering, he claims that the food and beverage industry, as well as hospitality management, has always been a sincere interest of his. Much of this gravitation towards this industry he attributes to the same passions that led him to engineering—the desire to craft and create.
When it comes to bartending specifically, Santiago believes that it is a craft that truly allows him to create something unique and add his own personal touch. For Santiago, bartending and mixing drinks is a special and intricate process that allows the bartender to share their personality through their creation.
While Santiago intends to remain in the same industry over the next five years, he also hopes to be exploring the hospitality management side of the business more.
As a bartender at LB Steak, Santiago’s favorite drink to make is the Whiskey Sour, which is made with Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select, lemon, egg white, and port float. Together, Santiago believes this simple mixture produces an incredibly well-balanced drink. While the Whiskey Sour is Santiago’s personal favorite to make, his personal drink of choice is well aged spirits. Along with this, Santiago says the coolest drink is Redemption, which is made with hickory smoke.
Finally, of course any good profile of a bartender has to include whether or not they have seen the hit 1980’s classic Cocktail, which is a film about a business student in New York City who learns the professional trade of bartending. We here at LB Steak can proudly confirm that our very own Santiago has seen the film and enjoyed it, even though it might not have been his own personal inspiration to enter into the bartending world.
Current Barman’s Choice Selection
Right now at LB Steak, we have a great selection of cocktails featured under our Barman’s Choice. This includes:
Pomme’s Up – Made with Eau de vie Pomme, Bénédictine, Cointreau, and Lemon
Summer Heat – Made with Clase Azul Reposado, Jalapeno Agave, Charred Pineapple, and Lime
Sparkling Sangria – Made with Grey Goose La Poire, Elderflower, Prosecco, and Strawberry
All of these unique combinations were specifically chosen by our trusted bartenders and are guaranteed to please anyone looking for a new drink to try. Since this selection tends to rotate, you will want to make sure to stop by LB Steak soon to try these amazing cocktails for yourself!
We hope you enjoyed this short profile of Santiago Gomez, our incredible bartender; the LB Steak team is made up of amazing and dedicated people, and we are so grateful to have such a passionate and committed bartender such as Santiago as a part of that team.
Please stop by LB Steak today to meet our awesome team and Santiago Gomez himself! While you are here, enjoy one of our unique cocktail creations from the Barman’s Choice, or any one of our other delicious cocktails. We hope to see you soon!
Its Prime Time Happy Hour at LB Steak! At the bar and on the patio, all day on Sunday and Monday, as well as from 4-6 pm Tuesday through Friday, LB Steak will have a grand time offering a new menu full of unique and delicious recipes and snacks that pair perfectly with drinks and events with friends.
Our new Prime Time Happy Hour menu is full of delicious food that we promise you will love!
At LB Steak, our oysters are always guaranteed to be fresh and plump, as well as having been obtained through sustainable seafood practices. A simple but delicious delicacy, our oysters are served chilled on ice with all the classics such as lemon, cocktail sauce, and mignonette so you can enjoy them in the way that you prefer.
Fried Monterey Calamari
A classic for any Happy Hour, especially since Monterey Bay is known as the “Calamari Capital of World,” the fresh squid at LB Steak is fried to perfection and served hot. LB Steak’s Fried Monterey Calamari also comes with fried shishito peppers and a delicious green goddess sauce.
Seared Pork Belly
With an incredible maple glaze, this seared pork belly is paired with a savory bread pudding and a sunny side up quail egg. Our seared pork belly is refined and flavorful, perfect for any hour of the day, especially during Prime Time Happy Hour when it is offered for a lower price.
Made with LB Steak’s USDA Certified Prime Angus Beef, our sliders also come with smoked onion marmalade, blue cheese, baby frisée, and hickory smoked bacon. Great for a quick bite, especially paired with our draft beer.
White Gulf Prawns
As previously mentioned, LB Steak makes sure that all our seafood comes from sustainable sources, which includes these White Gulf Prawns. Sauteed with garlic and cayenne, these large and juicy White Gulf Prawns have an unbelievable flavor that you will not want to miss out on.
Cape Cod Style Potato Chips
The name says it all! Our Cape Cod Style Potato Chips are house made from fresh potatoes and served with a delicious caramelized onion dip, absolutely perfect to snack on while out with friends.
Along with all of these great bites to eat, during Prime Time Happy Hour at LB Steak, we also offer the amazing combination of our classic burger and your choice of draft beer for the sweet deal of fifteen dollars.
Of course no Happy Hour could truly be enjoyed without the tradition of lower priced drinks! At LB Steak, we are happy to offer draft beer, wine by the glass, a well cocktail, or a well martini, all offered for our lower Prime Time rates.
Origins of “Happy Hour”
While our focus is to primarily highlight our new menu and to invite you all to come enjoy our Prime Time Happy Hour, we thought it would be interesting to explore and share the potential origins of the Happy Hour tradition. Even though the beginnings of Happy Hour are not 100% known and documented, there are several fascinating theories on how it came to be so prevalent in restaurants and bars across the country. One possibility is that the name stems from scheduled events in the United States Navy in the early 1900s which were known as “Happy Hour Socials,” and served as common social gatherings for entertainment purposes. Another idea, however one that is less substantiated, is that the term refers to scheduled social gatherings that would take place in speakeasies during the Prohibition era. Most people today consider the theory that it originates from those scheduled events in the Navy to be more likely. Regardless, across the country today, “Happy Hour” has become extremely common among restaurants and bars, as well as a favorite shared time for friends to congregate and enjoy each others company.
Its Prime Time at LB Steak!
Come to LB Steak for Prime Time Happy Hour today to enjoy our new creations and lower prices!